Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Anticipating and waiting patiently

A friend of mine delivered her second baby early this morning. She was only 36 weeks along, but because of complications the doctor decided to induce her yesterday. Her baby boy is in the NICU but is doing fine. Another friend delivered her baby at 32 weeks. He was in the NICU for several weeks. All of this has had me thinking recently.

I have had a fairly rough pregnancy. Please hear me out; I know others have had it worse than I have. I do not want to trivialize those who have experienced greater complications than I. From the beginning, it seems, I have been sick with “morning sickness” (I say that in quotations because mine lasted ALL day and ALL night for the first 5 months or so) and it has never completely gone away. At one point, I was vomiting 3-4 times a day every day. I wasn’t eating; nothing sounded appetizing to me. As a result, I lost somewhere around 25-30 lbs. I was placed on a prescription anti-nausea medicine, which I still need to take daily. I will be 32 weeks tomorrow, and I still struggle with the nausea quite frequently, but thankfully I no longer vomit. I now am dealing with the aches and pains of carrying a child. I have had too many sleepless nights, which only made all my other symptoms worsen. Even his movements can aggravate my symptoms, especially the nausea. Without listing them all, I felt like I had every negative symptom in the books. It has been horrible.

With all that being said, I do not know another person who has expressed the desire to want to be done being pregnant more than me. I have been ready to meet my little guy from early on, mostly because of how terrible I have felt. I often say to people that Baby C is more than welcome to come early. At one of my earlier appointments, I was told that I have an “interesting uterus,” as my doctor put it. This means that I am at risk for preterm labor. And I have been told by my doctor that as long as he comes after 35 weeks I should be fine (that’s only 3 weeks away!). Sounds good to me! Well, as long as he is healthy.

But the more I hear of babies coming early and ending up in the NICU, I am rethinking my position just a little. It is better for my little guy to finish developing and growing inside of me, no matter how much I am ready to meet him and how much I want my internal body back. So, for now, I am anticipating the arrival of Baby C, but will (try to) wait patiently for when God decides it is best for him to arrive. In all honesty, His timing is better than mine, and I need to trust in that. I know that He is in complete control of Baby C’s well-being. “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well” (Psalm 139:13-14 ESV).

To end on a lighter note, it was pointed out to me today by a dear friend that I now waddle! I thought that I didn’t or at least, if I did, no one noticed. Guess I can no longer hide that aspect of pregnancy!

1 comment:

  1. Awe, Natalie....I'm just now getting caught up on your blog! I hear ya on wanting to done with pregnancy. I'm praying for you, girl! Baby C needs to stay put for just a little while longer. It'll go by faster than you think! :)

    ReplyDelete